Dr. Kramer is the founder of Telecom Law Firm and its first Managing Partner from November, 2006 to July 1, 2019. On July 1, 2019 Jonathan elevated Tripp May to be the firm’s second Managing Partner. Jonathan remains very active in Telecom Law Firm now as its Senior Partner, Staff Mentor, and head of the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Jonathan is a telecommunications regulatory leader and technology advisor. He was the co-chair of the FCC recognized committee that developed the technical standards and regulation of all U.S. cable television systems. He has been a testifying expert witness and trial consultant in over 40 federal and state court cases regarding wireless and cable television technology. Additionally, he served as the advisor to the League of California Cities during the key negotiations regarding SB 1627, California’s wireless co-location law. He was also a member of the League’s that successful fought SB 649, a land-grab by the wireless industry in 2017 that was one of the few bills vetoed by Gov. Brown that term.
Jonathan is a frequent lecturer and panelist on communications technology for conferences and teaching events by the National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors, IMLA, and Lorman. Dr. Kramer is also the co-author and editor of articles on federal government regulation of radio frequency interference matters and wireless technology.
Dr. Kramer is admitted to practice by the State Bar of California and the State Bar of New Mexico. He is also admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Central District of California, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, the District Court for New Mexico, and the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
He holds five Federal Communications Commission licenses and endorsements, as well as a C7 communications contractors license (currently inactive) issued by the California Contractor’s State License Board. Dr. Kramer also holds a California Department of Real Estate Broker license, and heads a separate telecom/cell site property management firm, Telecom Realty Corporation.
Dr. Kramer, who continued his legal education after earning his JD cum laude from Abraham Lincoln University School of Law, earned his Masters of Law degree in Information Technology and Telecommunications with distinction from Strathclyde University (Glasgow, Scotland). His terminal degree is a Doctor of Law and Policy degree from Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.).
In addition to his duties at Telecom Law Firm, Dr. Kramer teach regulatory law and policy classes at the masters and doctoral levels at Northeastern University through its Boston and Seattle campuses.
- Northeastern University – Doctor of Law and Policy (LP.D)
- Doctor of Law and Policy
- Dr. Kramer now teaches law and regulatory policy at Northeastern University at the masters and doctoral levels.
- University of Strathclyde School of Law (L.L.M.)
- Master of Laws degree in Information Technology and Telecom Law with distinction
- Abraham Lincoln University School of Law (J.D.)
- Juris Doctor degree cum laude
- Los Angeles Trade Technical College (A.S.)
- Associate of Science in Radio Communications with honors
Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of California, Member
- State Bar of New Mexico, Member
- Bar of the Central District of California, Member
- Advisory Council of Abraham Lincoln University School of Law
- American Radio Relay League, Life Member
- Volunteer Counsel, Volunteer Examiner
- California Wireless Association, Charter Member
- Federal Communications Bar Association – National Organization, Attorney Member
- Federal Communications Bar Association – Southern California Chapter, Founding Member
- International Municipal Lawyers Association, Attorney Member
- International Right of Way Association Wireless Committee, Former Chairperson
- Joint Task Force on Technical Standards Committee, Former Co-Chair
- National Technical Standards Committee, Former Co-Chair
- New Mexico Municipal League, City Attorney’s Section, Attorney Member
- State Bar of California Public Law Section
- Appointed Advisor to Executive Committee Board Member
- Former Executive Committee Board Member
- National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors
- Former Director
- States of California and Nevada Chapter, National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors
- Founding Member
- Board of Directors
- Former President
- Society of Broadcast Engineers, Senior Member
- Society of Telecommunications Engineers (US Society), Senior Member
- Society of Telecommunication Engineers (UK Society), Fellow Member
Certifications & Licenses
- Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials
- Public Safety Radio Technician
- California Contractors State License, Class C7 – Low voltage systems
- Federal Communications Commission
- Amateur radio operator license
- General radiotelephone operator license
- Global maritime distress and safety system maintainer’s license
- Global maritime distress and safety system operator/maintainer’s license
- Restricted radiotelephone operator permit
- National Institutes of Health, Protecting Human Research Participants Training Certification
- Society of Broadcast Engineers
- Certified Broadcast Technologist
Honors & Awards
- Elected Member, Loyal Order of the 704; Membership is limited to those with more than 30 years in broadband engineering field
- Volunteer Counsel, American Radio Relay League
- Volunteer Examiner, American Radio Relay League
- Twice-awarded Member of the Year, National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors